For example, instead of saying 'you have to listen to the person you are talking with', I want to say: 'You have to listen to your ___________'

  • 1
    It's ugly, but how about conversational partner?
    – Anonym
    Dec 31, 2015 at 20:35

2 Answers 2


The word is interlocutor. "You have to hear/listen to your interlocutor."

But it can refer to anyone taking part in a conversation.

  • Is it also correct if the conversation is in written form? Dec 31, 2015 at 20:29
  • 6
    That would be correspondent Dec 31, 2015 at 20:40

"collocutor," meaning "The person with/to whom one is speaking."

collocutor noun col·loc·u·tor \kəˈläkyətə(r), kōˈ- ˈkäləˌkyütə(r)\ Definition of collocutor

: a person to or with whom one speaks

© 2015 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.