I am describing a composition that I wrote for an English project that I have to write a paper on.

Would "self-written composition" be correct? Or "self-composed composition", "personal composition" or "my own composition"?

I'd like to know the commonly used term.

  • have you considered saying something like "my work" or "my piece"?
    – shaunxer
    Commented Dec 31, 2015 at 6:35
  • 2
    I hadn't noticed that you suggested “my own composition*” yourself, you can also use that.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented Dec 31, 2015 at 7:19
  • @Mari-LouA This link you have suggested is in Italian and upon clicking it, it gives you a new "dialog box" (lack of a better word) on webpage regarding some privacy concerns which is also in Italian. Commented Jan 1, 2016 at 4:54
  • @JonyAgarwal the link doesn't take you to Google books? Even if the search engine is called Google.it, (italy) the results are in English. This is a case where Google thinks it's doing me a favour. I set the home page for Google.uk, but if I highlight a word, open the menu tab and search Google, it will always open a new tab with Google.it.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented Jan 1, 2016 at 7:25
  • 1
    New link with Google.uk, produces these results: own composition
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented Jan 1, 2016 at 7:27

1 Answer 1


I think you could say that it is your original composition. It is generally used with reference to a piece of music or art.

An original piece of writing or music was written recently and has not been published or performed before.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.