I can't find one anywhere and can't think of one either, but this is a clever group and maybe someone has a synonym for force-feed, in the sense not of forcible indoctrination, but physically forcing someone to eat something.

2 Answers 2


gavage (noun)
the administration of food or drugs by force, especially to an animal, typically through a tube leading down the throat to the stomach.

(New Oxford American Dictionary)

  • Oh fantastic! I will accept in a couple of minutes. Thank you so much! :)
    – Jan F.
    Jun 13, 2011 at 16:06
  • Yuck! (or 'excellent!' if you're passed out in the hospital)
    – Mitch
    Jun 13, 2011 at 16:54
  • I noticed this is from the French, gaver, "to force-feed." Is there an equivalent verb form in English? Jun 13, 2011 at 19:52
  • I'm quite partial to gavage. It just has that je ne c'est quoi.
    – jyc23
    Jun 14, 2011 at 4:17
  • +1, extremely nice word. Could we possibly add in a guide on the pronunciation? Jun 21, 2011 at 22:22

You could use the verb cram, which in addition to its more common meanings is used to describe the process of force-feeding Geese to produce Foie Gras (Source: FAO).

(A horrible thing to do to an animal, I think, so maybe it would generally have a negative connotation when used in the sense of force-feeding.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.