Sometimes two related phrases are reached for simultaneously. I recently heard a newscaster combine "standpoint" and "point of view," so that his sentence began "from a football standpoint of view..." is there a name for this phenomenon?

Portmanteau is close but it usually applied to single words.

  • The newscaster has been watching too much "Wheel of Fortune"! Sounds like he's hung-up on the puzzle called "before and after": " FOOTBALL STANDPOINT/ OF VIEW." (Don't overthink this one!) – rhetorician Dec 25 '15 at 1:53
  • @rhetorician - The game show Jeopardy! uses that same terminology – "before and after." – J.R. Dec 25 '15 at 9:05
  • 2
    A "blend word" ? en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blend_word – Charlie Dec 25 '15 at 19:56
  • This is simply a form of tautology. – Chenmunka Mar 15 '16 at 12:56

I'll stick my neck out on a limb...

I think this is a good example of a malaphor.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.