In the same way that verbally means with spoken words, I'm looking for a term that means with written words. Is there such a word?

  • 2
    NB: while verbally can mean with spoken words, it can also mean with words (whether spoken or not). Some situations will warrant the use of orally to avoid ambiguity. – snumpy Jun 13 '11 at 13:43
  • sir, this is an adverb! – Claudiu May 25 '13 at 22:55

You can use textual or textually to convey this idea.


How about simply saying in writing?

  • 2
    +1: Or simply written, as in "You say you can recite the poem from memory, but I'd like to see a written version just to be sure." – Robusto Jun 12 '11 at 20:59
  • Or “in cold print” if it should be a bit more dramatic ;) – stff00 Jun 12 '11 at 21:14

Orthographically may be what you are looking for.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.