Is there a single word for the direction towards the equator wherever you happen to be standing?

Suppose, you wanted to convey the following message:

If you are in the Southern hemisphere, orient yourself facing North; if you are in the Northern hemisphere, orient yourself facing South.

The message appears clumsy. Is there a single word that means "towards the equator"?

  • 2
    antipoleward is a word....in molecular biology.
    – ab2
    Dec 24, 2015 at 1:28
  • 6
    Anything wrong with "towards the equator"?
    – Hot Licks
    Dec 24, 2015 at 1:49
  • 1
    "but it feels clumsy". Why? That's pretty common, or perhaps "orient yourself northward".
    – ralph.m
    Dec 24, 2015 at 2:08
  • @ralph.m If you specify a single cardinal direction, it's only right for one half of the earth. :-)
    – kmort
    Dec 24, 2015 at 3:49
  • 1
    Couldn't you just reword the whole sentence as "Face the equator."? Dec 24, 2015 at 7:26

4 Answers 4


There is the single word equatorward but it is mainly used in geographical context.

toward or near the equator

currents flowing equatorward, equatorward winds


  • 1
    Look at that. A real word that means exactly what I asked. Funny how my Googling didn't turn that one up. Thanks Ermanen!
    – kmort
    Dec 24, 2015 at 3:48
  • Equatorbound I guess could work too. Does that need a hyphen?
    – Brad
    Apr 5, 2016 at 18:22

In conventional speech, I think most fluent English speakers would say "towards the equator". If geographers or some other profession of a single word for this, I don't think it's in common use.


You can use "equator-facing".

Thus, your example may be simplified as follows:

Wherever you happen to be standing, stand equator-facing.

  • 1
    That's just a clumsier way of saying "facing the equator." Dec 24, 2015 at 11:18

What about the word "adequatorial"? That is, "ad-" +"equatorial." Although "equatorward" is just the word for it, as everyone seems to agree, I have a personal distaste for a Latin word (or Greek, etc.) with an English suffix, i.e. "-ward." Purely an aesthetic issue for me. Does this seem like a usable word? I'm coining it, as far as I know.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.