When words are common and they are being used regularly their meanings change. Sometimes they are spelled in a different way than they are supposed to. What do you call this phenomena or what do you call a word like that?

  • 1
    Would you like to give us a couple of examples?
    – WS2
    Dec 17, 2015 at 12:39

1 Answer 1


The phenomenon is known as semantic change or semantic drift. The first example in the link is awful - originally positive (full of awe), now negative.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.