He is here. She was absent. He has returned.

Apparently, these are tense-base verbs, but there's surely a more academic term for them. I am not a grammar, so I seek the aid of StackExchange.

closed as off-topic by Mitch, Jim, tchrist, user66974, Mr. Shiny and New 安宇 Dec 17 '15 at 20:25

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


These are examples of auxiliary verbs.


Generally you can say these forms are conjugated verbforms. Verbforms of the third person singular (he/she/it) of present or past tense. http://www.myenglishpages.com/site_php_files/grammar-lesson-simple-present-be.php

  • "Be" is also an auxiliary verb, even when it's the only verb in the sentence. – BillJ Dec 17 '15 at 14:41

"Has," "had," "have," and etc. are helping verbs when used in the context of the perfect tense.

"Am," "is," and etc. are "being verbs," or "state-of-being verbs."

I wish there was a fancier term for them as well.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.