I remember coming across a word that was British, and seemed to be a more specific reference to what we call a "company man" in the US. But this was a while ago and I forget it.

  • 2
    Is your answer here: Derogatory term for a corporate employee – 0.. Dec 16 '15 at 0:11
  • Though a Yank myself, I have to ask: how exactly might you describe the sort of person that "we" call a "company man" in the US? – Brian Donovan Dec 16 '15 at 0:27
  • You mean like a "yes man" or a sycophant? – Kit Z. Fox Dec 16 '15 at 1:21
  • I'd suggest "corporate man", but without more information there's not much point posting a wild guess which may be nothing like what you're looking for. More context please @JayZee! – AndyT Dec 22 '15 at 9:22
  • 1
    Could you be thinking of Jobsworth? Not really a 'company man', but definitely distinctly British. – Mynamite Jan 18 '16 at 0:26

Jobsworth - (from Wikipedia)

"Jobsworth" is a British colloquial word derived from the phrase "I can't do that, it's more than my job's worth", meaning taking the initiative and performing an action that is beyond what the person feels is in their job description. The Oxford English Dictionary defines it as "A person in authority (esp. a minor official) who insists on adhering to rules and regulations or bureaucratic procedures even at the expense of common sense."1 Jonathon Green similarly defines "jobsworth" as "a minor factotum whose only status comes from enforcing otherwise petty regulations".

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.