It's a kind of mask that is worn by horses so that they can't see sideways or backwards.

I think it's called a blinder (not sure though) but is there a proper term for this accessory in English? Preferably something that is used by Race Organizers?

Update 1 : The definition I found from Wiktionary

A screen attached to a horse's bridle preventing it from being able to see things to its side.

My question - Does a blinder have other names? (For example, blinker is one...)

Update 2 : Possible duplicate flag raised. I felt that blinders were more of a colloquial term(It's my personal view and I may well be wrong). I was looking for a formal term, if there was one.

marked as duplicate by Edwin Ashworth, Mari-Lou A, user66974 Dec 15 '15 at 16:11

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    Yes, blinders. They're also called blinkers. What did you find in the dictionary entry for "blinder(s)"? That seems like a good starting point. – sumelic Dec 15 '15 at 10:14
  • @sumelic - I did find blinders and its definition to be appropriate. But I was not sure if it had some other name in racing parlance. – BiscuitBoy Dec 15 '15 at 10:19
  • @sumelic - Question updated. Since blinder also meant exceptional performance (in UK), I was not very sure. Hope I am doing things right in ELU. Thanks for the tip. – BiscuitBoy Dec 15 '15 at 10:40
  • 1
    Thanks for updating! It looks like Wiktionary also lists one more synonym that I hadn't heard before – winkers. – sumelic Dec 15 '15 at 10:43
  • @BiscuitBoy A picture of what you're looking for might help... – Elian Dec 15 '15 at 11:26

In British English they are called blinkers (also used figuratively). I believe I have read that in American they are blinders.

Edit: The OED has:

  • blinkers 2b) "Leather screens attached to a horse's bridle on each side, to prevent his seeing in any direction except straight ahead."

  • blinder 2) "A blinker for a horse. ... Usu. pl. (Chiefly in U.S.)"

  • I assume there are no other words to describe it, am I right? – BiscuitBoy Dec 15 '15 at 10:34
  • I suspect the metaphorical use of 'blinkered' is commoner than the original. Also: "Usu. pl."?? What use would a single one be? – TimLymington Dec 15 '15 at 11:54

Shadow roll is commonly used in horse racing which means:

a piece of equipment usually made of sheepskin or a synthetic material, that is attached to the noseband of a horse's bridle. Like blinkers, it partially restricts the horse's vision, and helps him to concentrate on what is in front of him, rather than objects on the ground (such as shadows).


enter image description here


blinker hood is the term you're after. Google Pictures


Per comment on Horse&Hound, blinkers let you see, but only with a very narrow focus, so you can't see the "Big Picture." In racing, it's for horses not to be able to see horses coming up behind them. Horse&Hound

And so, the mask worn by race horses so they can't see sideways or backward is a blinker hood (commonly referred to as blinkers)

blinker: a cloth hood with shades projecting at the sides of the eye openings used on skittish racehorses —usually used in plural M-W

blinder (esp. AmEng); blinker (esp. BrEng): either of two flaps on a horse's bridle to keep it from seeing objects at its sides M-W


Those are usually called Blinders in the US, and Blinkers in the UK, they are sometimes known as Winkers, if you want to be sure on what you're talking about when referring to it, use Blinders in the US and Blinkers in the rest of the speaking English world.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.