Is there a general term to refer to "a semi-denigrating term used by a minority social group (not necessarily a racial group) to refer to the majority". Examples would be "muggle", "gentile", "textile", "breeder", "straight", "mundane", "vanilla" etc. (I am not referring to outright derogatory terms)
I am not sure that groups of pejoratives are classified by scale (i.e. minority pejoratives; majority pejoratives) but these words and terms are relevant for the discussion:
- Descriptions of "the majority" include the masses; sheep; common; pop.
- "Reverse discrimination" is the concept of a retaliation against a dominant or majority group and includes subterms such as reverse racism
- "Affirmative action" is a classification of policies that are intended to react against an ill-founded majority
- An "exclusionist" is one who advocates the exclusion of others; this could apply to certain groups against others (e.g. Jews and gentiles)
None of these are a perfect fit but it they may help with specific cases.
you might be looking for the word ethno-phaulisms
1. Creating negative cognitive images of a different group, negative worth and/or caricatures (jokes having to do with someone's features). 2. Using derogatory or disparaging words.
and example of this would be hoi polloi
1. The common people; the masses.
"Here and there, a gracious residence sat comfortably insulated by its wide grounds, a > grand lady spreading her skirts, ignoring the presence of the hoi polloi nearby." — Drums of Autumn
The closest I could get was "defamation", which although is used to mean statements that project a negative image of a group, nation, etc. As well as a single person:
Defamation—also called calumny, vilification, traducement, slander (for transitory statements), and libel (for written, broadcast, or otherwise published words)—is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government, or nation a negative image.