We all know that if we want to eat outside the restaurant we say "take away", but what about if you want to eat inside? Do you say to the cashier "eating here"?

Is there a common phrase ?

  • No - if you go to a restaurant that has tables, it is assumed you are eating there, unless you specifically ask for the take-away menu. – Cargill Dec 11 '15 at 4:32
  • 6
    In the US, we don't usually say "take-away." We say "take-out." If it's a counter restaurant, the server will usually ask, "For here or to go?" and then put your food into a bag or on a tray. Another way of saying this is "To stay or to go?" At a sit-down restaurant where there is a large take-out business, the host(ess) might ask, "Eat in or take out?" – Steven Littman Dec 11 '15 at 4:36

If you want to eat inside the restaurant and while ordering on the counter if cashier asks, we can say "eat in", which is British Antonym of "take away" as stated in wikipedia.

Also, Dine in is a strong word which is used for such situation.

  • 1
    It's also the American antonym of "take out". – Peter Shor Dec 11 '15 at 4:56
  • Yeah, I found take out also at many places. Thanks for updating my knowledge.. :) – Dev Dec 11 '15 at 4:59
  • "Will that be takeaway, or are you dining in?" is common in Australia (as well as "eating in"). – ralph.m Dec 11 '15 at 7:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.