In Dutch we know 'Maatschappelijk Vastgoed' but I can't find the right translation to English. If the phenomenon even exists at all in other countries. I'm looking for a word that summarizes the following: real estate in neighbourhoods that add value to people’s societal activities and social life, to residents and others, that is paid or sponsored by government, regardless who or what kind of organization or enterprise handles or possesses it.

  • 1
    Are you referring to a community centre?
    – Lawrence
    Dec 9, 2015 at 12:27
  • A simple Google Translate gives Social Real Estate. We may have to coin a new word in English that will encapsulate the definition!
    – BiscuitBoy
    Dec 9, 2015 at 12:29
  • Thank you! Than maybe it should be societal real estate..? Or do you think social real estate fits best?
    – Annette
    Dec 9, 2015 at 12:42
  • 2
    @Annette FYI, where we come from, the government doesn't sponsor them :-\
    – SAH
    Dec 9, 2015 at 12:56
  • 1
    @Annette You might also want to check this list: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…
    – SAH
    Dec 9, 2015 at 12:59

1 Answer 1


Perhaps the word 'amenities'? "The neighborhood includes amenities such as a playground and walking trails."




plural noun: amenities

a desirable or useful feature or facility of a building or place. "heating is regarded as a basic amenity"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.