I am writing an essay and I was wondering what would you call a person who is discriminated against.

  • Legally, probably the "injured party." More commonly you hear "victim."
    – Nonnal
    Dec 8, 2015 at 22:00
  • I would suggest - a victim of discrimination
    – WS2
    Dec 8, 2015 at 22:03
  • I'm guessing you're aiming for more technical terms, but I'll throw in pariah or outcast as possibilities depending on the context. Indeed, if you could specify how this person is being discriminated against, it may help you get better answers. In the term's most literal sense, to discriminate only means to judge things in comparison to other things.
    – Aurast
    Dec 8, 2015 at 22:19

2 Answers 2


It seems that discriminatee is also used, particularly in legal documents:

In Precoat, the Board found an alleged discriminatee had "forfeited his entitlement to reinstatement and backpay" because he gave false testimony...

(Decisions and Orders of the National Labor Relations Board, Volume 349)

The Administrative Law Judge’s decision covers two broad categories of discriminatees. The first category of discriminatees are former TVS employees who were not hired by CNN after the contracts with TVS were cancelled in late 2003 in Washington, D.C. and early 2004 in New York, N.Y.

These discriminatees are entitled to be reinstated to their former jobs or, if those jobs no longer exist, to substantially equivalent positions without prejudice to their seniority or any other rights or privileges that they previously enjoyed as employees of TVS.

(CNN/TVS NLRB Case Decision - FAQ)


In general usage, victim of discrimination is widespread. See, for instance, the EEOC.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.