My example is Science Friday, which can be shortened to Sci Fri

But what do you call the parts that aren't used – ence day

  • 7
    He told me there was a word for it, but elide. [Joke. Couldn't resist. Sorry.] – ralph.m Dec 7 '15 at 9:31
  • 3
    Slow Clap into standing ovation – Andrew Lazarus Dec 7 '15 at 13:52
  • Who bothers to further name what would anyway be discarded ? – Narasimham Dec 7 '15 at 16:57
  • Because there's no room for waste anymore @Narasimham, there's just no room – Andrew Lazarus Dec 7 '15 at 18:58

There is not a single word for that, the usual term is:

elided part/ portion

|improve this answer|||||

Those would be "elisions".

From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:

elision n 1: omission of a sound between two words (usually a vowel and the end of one word or the beginning of the next) 2: a deliberate act of omission; "with the exception of the children, everyone was told the news" [syn: {exception}, {exclusion}, {elision}]

|improve this answer|||||
  • This is normally everything other than the first syllable – not a sound between words – Andrew Lazarus Dec 7 '15 at 13:53

Two words that occur to me:



|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.