Is there a single word that means above and in front?

Like "The cabinet is above and in front of my head."

  • 1
    I don’t believe there is a single word in common use. However, there is a medical term: anterosuperior. – ermanen Dec 6 '15 at 22:44
  • 1
    Pilots would use the phrase "12-O'Clock high". – whybird Dec 7 '15 at 0:56
  • 1
    Jutting over and looming over are about as close as we can get. These give the sense of being ever so slightly threatened by the cabinet's position, which conveys the idea they're in front, too. There are also overlooking, overhanging, which don't really give a sense of being in front. None of these are clear, though. – Rich Dec 7 '15 at 20:17

I posed the question to a Radiographer (my wife) and she immediately answered 'antero-superior'. Medical language is extremely accurate, and needs to be, and for that reason I believe it is the best single word answer (normally hyphenated). However it's not commonly understood. Some Military language is also extremely accurate, as in Kipling's poem "Gunga Din", where the regimental water-carrier was very accurately described as "squatting 50 paces right flank rear". The problem is that we have no concise language that is universal and accurate in describing a specific relative position in space. For that reason I fear we will nearly always use a cumbersome phrase. An extremely good question that goes "above & beyond".


Jut seems to fit the criterium of being in front of, but also to be overhanging.
1. to extend beyond the main body or line; project; protrude: a strip of land jutting out into the bay.

2. something that juts out; a projecting or protruding point.

  • Nope, the over-hanging quality makes it incorrect, 'cause I didn't ask for overhanging. – Malady Dec 10 '15 at 0:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.