What do you call the act of pulling your hair back using your scalp muscles?

For instance, watch Nathan Fillion's scalp in this cut from Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. Or, here's a less known but more obvious example.


I don't think there's a single word for that. It's called flexing your scalp muscles, or contracting your scalp muscles, or simply moving your scalp:

It's interesting no one has mentioned this one yet: I can move my scalp. I can move my scalp forward and backwards without moving my ears or eyebrows.



I believe this link will be helpful for you.


  • Yes, but what do you call it? "Hey, in that Dr. Horrible clip, you can really see Nathon Fillion <verb>ing!"; what's "<verb>"? – Daniel Griscom Dec 2 '15 at 13:54
  • 3
    I call it flexing those frontalis and occipitalis muscles causing scalp movement. – Rob BB3 Dec 2 '15 at 13:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.