Is there a word that describes a concept which loses its power when put into words?

EDIT: For example, the context could be a philosophical (or pseudo-philosophical) idea like "zen" attitude. When a monk can not tell his pupil directly how to achieve enlightenment because the idea is _____.

  • 3
    What's the context you'd like to use this in? – ralph.m Dec 1 '15 at 21:51
  • The unspeakable or the ineffable ? – Graffito Dec 1 '15 at 21:53
  • indescribable? – Jim Dec 1 '15 at 22:01
  • quantum mechanics? – Ricky Dec 1 '15 at 22:01
  • wordlessness. – Jim Dec 1 '15 at 22:02

Example: "Meditation is not what you think." https://yogainternational.com/article/view/meditation-is-not-what-you-think

The word for this, which Graffito suggested yesterday, is "ineffable." It is quite profound once you settle into it. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ineffable


Sounds like a form of the observer effect

In science, the term observer effect refers to changes that the act of observation will make on a phenomenon being observed. This is often the result of instruments that, by necessity, alter the state of what they measure in some manner. A commonplace example is checking the pressure in an automobile tire; this is difficult to do without letting out some of the air, thus changing the pressure.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.