How to name the face expression pictured on the right photo? enter image description here

  • "sucking your cheeks in". – Mitch Nov 25 '15 at 18:24
  • 1
    The famous Zoolander magnum look. I heard tell it can stop a blade in mid air. – TsSkTo Nov 25 '15 at 18:45

I got tons of hits when I did a search on "suck in cheeks" and "suck in your cheeks". That seems to be pretty standard.

The other term is "fish face" because the act of sucking in one's cheeks makes the lips protrude and look very fishy!

enter image description here

  • Thanks for an answer Kristina! I've made a 3d model recently and want to name the face controllers for it. I've got for example the following two-word names: 'jaw jutt', 'nostrils extend', 'nose bend', 'eye squint', 'cheek puff' etc. According to your answer, how should I name this one? 'Cheek suck'? – Paul Gonet Nov 25 '15 at 18:44
  • Yes, I'd go with "cheek suck" which would juxtapose nicely against "cheek puff"! – Kristina Lopez Nov 25 '15 at 18:46
  • 1
    You're talking about ingressive mouth air instead of egressive, in the case of puff, so cheek pucker is probably a better descriptive term. – John Lawler Nov 25 '15 at 20:21
  • My only concern about "cheek pucker", @JohnLawler, is that lip pucker is so much more common and "pucker", alone, almost always conjures the image of puckering lips, not cheeks. – Kristina Lopez Nov 25 '15 at 21:02
  • This could also be called a "duck face", although the sucked in cheeks are not a requirement for making a duck face, just the pooked out lips are generally enough to qualify. – delliottg May 19 '16 at 18:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.