I looked at the thesaurus and wasn't satisfied with any of them. [beam, emit, send, transmit]

I'm looking for a word that means move to another place instantly - preferably less than 3 syllables.


Edit: Thanks everyone for your suggestions

closed as off-topic by sumelic, Chenmunka, michael_timofeev, MetaEd, Nathaniel Nov 25 '15 at 2:04

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – sumelic, Chenmunka, michael_timofeev, Nathaniel
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    Beam me up, Scotty – ermanen Nov 23 '15 at 21:58
  • transubstantiate, perhaps. :) – OneProton Nov 23 '15 at 22:03
  • 2
    "move to another place instantly"—how about "instamove". :p – ralph.m Nov 23 '15 at 22:14
  • 1
    What's wrong with teleport? – MichaelS Nov 24 '15 at 2:12
  • @Armstrongest, transubstantiate means to convert from one substance to another (generally, the wine/bread of the Eucharist into the literal blood/flesh of Jesus). Some people consider it to simultaneously be wine/bread and blood/flesh, but I don't think there's any notion of it being in two places at once. – MichaelS Nov 24 '15 at 3:04

You could use the verbs tesser or wrinkle, from the children's book A Wrinkle in Time, if you're looking for a niche word.

I've never heard of jaunte, although it's clearly based on the word jaunt, which just means "a short journey". Without having seen in used in this context, I would assume the author meant the latter word. Alternately, it looks like something French whose meaning I wouldn't begin to guess at.

Similarly, people who've never read A Wrinkle in Time might have no idea about tesser or wrinkle. Tesser immediately brings up thoughts of tesseracts and higher-dimension thinking, but many people wouldn't even make that connection, let alone assume you're talking about teleporting.

Anyone familiar with the paper-folding analogy of wormholes might immediately make the connection between a fold and a wrinkle, but then they might not.

If you're doing some kind of worldbuilding, you can use pretty much anything you want as long as you explain it, either as a narrator or in-character. Terms like gate, rift, slip, slide, shift, jump, port, pop, warp, fold or beam can all be used in this context as local lingo for faster-than-light or instantaneous travel.

If you're using the term in a simpler context, I'd stick with teleport (a door between distant places, or the act of stepping through said door) or possibly translocale/locate (one location that exists in multiple distant areas, or the act of stepping between distant areas via the translocale). Note that translocate also has the more common meaning of just moving something between two places, and doesn't always imply instantaneous transport.

You could also use transport, but it suffers from the same problem as translocate; it normally just means to move something between two places at normal speeds. In fact, the only place I've heard the term transport used for instantaneous travel is in Star Trek or parodies thereof, and even there it isn't instant. Normal matter gets turned to light or faster-than-light particles which move very fast, and looks like teleportation at human time scales, but is really just very fast travel.


The canonical verb is jaunte, as established in Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination.

  • 1
    Excellent, @John Lawler. It's time I re-read it. – David Garner Nov 23 '15 at 21:47
  • I'd forgotten that one! But we do also say that an electron jumps to a (higher/lower orbit), and that's not exactly "sci-fi" - I think they really do reckon the electron moves "instantly" (insofar as it was ever in one particular place to start with). – FumbleFingers Nov 23 '15 at 21:48
  • 2
    PS. In case British readers don't follow that, in the UK, Bester's novel was titled 'Tiger, Tiger'. – David Garner Nov 23 '15 at 21:49

The Church calls it translocation when it is a miracle, implying by backformation that translocate should be a word.


I'd probably just use transport After all, that's what transporters do.

  • Why the downvotes? Transport is perfectly valid as an alternative. – OneProton Nov 26 '15 at 1:56

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.