enter image description here

I painted this some years ago, and I still don't know what they're called. The vases, or bowls, or whatever they are, on top of the two pillars pretending to support the porch? They're shaped like spheres sometimes. What's the term?


The term is "finial" which is a noun and is defined in the MW as a crowning ornament.

  • 2
    Here's some suitable images I was going to use in my answer. The specific shape of "vase or bowl" is generally an urn (also illustrated at that site).
    – Andrew Leach
    Nov 22 '15 at 10:11
  • 'Finials' usually restricted to solid / enclosed ornaments; 'urns' if open. Nov 22 '15 at 10:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.