When building a house, the person who puts up the framing is the builder, the person who wires the electrics is the electrician, the person who does the plumbing is the plumber.

Who fixes and installs windows?

The glass man?

  • 1
    @Mari-LouA No I don't. As far as I remember you posted window fitter originally. I'll have a look at the edit history tomorrow.
    – dwjohnston
    Nov 19 '15 at 10:06
  • 1
    @Mari-LouA - As far as I can see - you added glazier to your answer 4 hours ago, while hotlicks answered 'glazier' 'yesterday' whatever that is.
    – dwjohnston
    Nov 19 '15 at 10:22
  • You should clarifyyour question: "window panes" are replaced by a "glazier" when they get broken, but when you build a house you do not call a glazier, you buy windows and a carpenter ("window installer") installs them. Do you get it? The text of your question conflicts with its title
    – user119278
    Nov 30 '15 at 7:04

The person is a glazier: one who sets glass

  • 4
    How is this an improvement on the answer already given by @Mari-Lou A? What about a person who installs windows, as mentioned by OP?
    – A.P.
    Nov 18 '15 at 8:28

A glazier, sometimes spelled as glazer, is also known as a glass worker. The Free Dictionary mentions that a glassworker (one word), is a person who cuts flat glass to size.

Common synonyms include: glass cutter, glass-cutter; glass installer, and glass setter

Not to be confused with: glassblower, glassmith, or glassmaker, who are workers/ tradesmen/people who make glass.

One final synonym comes from the American website, Craigslist, which defines the job position of a Glass Technician as

Our client, […], is looking for a dependability enthusiastic candidate for an apprentice Flat Glass (Glazier) Technician for their growing team in St. John's, Newfoundland.


• Repair/ replace commercial and residential glass and glazing systems
• Measure, fabricate and install mirrors, glass and custom showers
• Perform mobile service glazing


Consider window installer:

Should I Become a Window Installer?
Window installers fit pre-made windows into window openings and door frames of homes and buildings.


From service reviews of American Window Company:

The installer Manny and his assistant were quick, neat and very professional. My windows look awesome and I can already tell a difference in sound and insulation

The installers left the house as if they had never been there.

  • That could be ambiguous, it could also mean someone who installs Windows (MS) on your computer.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Nov 18 '15 at 5:37
  • 3
    Well, context is king. Also, what you apparently mean is "Windows Installer". Note the trailing "s" and the capitalization. It's a Windows component, not a person: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Installer
    – A.P.
    Nov 18 '15 at 5:40
  • 4
    @Mari-LouA Maybe it's just me (I work in tech), but I wouldn't call a person a Windows installer, except perhaps humorously :)
    – A.P.
    Nov 18 '15 at 5:47

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.