Preferably to the extent that it is implied that they're knowledgeable about the goings on of entertainment.

  • What kind of entertainment do you have in mind? That would affect the answer. Broadway plays, for example, or live jazz performances, or exotic dancers?
    – MT_Head
    Commented Jun 6, 2011 at 0:22

8 Answers 8


How about a socialite?

a person who is well known in fashionable society and is fond of social activities and entertainment.



It's not clear what kind of outings you have in mind, but if you're talking about music, most of the time this will suffice:

concertgoer |ˈkänsərtˌgōər| noun a person who attends a concert, esp. one who does so regularly. [NOAD]

This works for classical, rock, jazz and pretty much all kinds of music. It would even work for dance and some other forms of entertainment. But I don't think it extends to all kinds of entertainment: you probably wouldn't use it for, say, puppet shows or jugglers or circuses.


If you love soceity, you would be described as "gregarious"

–adjective 1. fond of the company of others; sociable

The noun for this is "gregarian". So if you love clubs, concerts, bars, and entertainment, you're a "gregarian"

  • 1
    And if you love chanting, you're a Gregorian!
    – MT_Head
    Commented Jun 6, 2011 at 6:54

It's reassuring that most answers assumed a social context but it's not essential in this context; particularly since the question emphasized acquiring knowledge but didn't specify an interest in seeking company. There are those who seek music, art. and other forms of entertainment regardless of the social context. In this respect they could be considered aficionados, devotees or enthusiasts. In some (arguably snobbish), instances a person might even claim themselves a student of certain forms of entertainment. Someone describing themselves as a "student of the dance" for instance, pursues experiences that enhance their knowledge and understanding of the particular art form. If their dedication extends beyond "paying admission" to actively supporting or sponsoring the entertainment/art form, they may be referred to as "patrons".


How about a man/woman-about-town?

man-about-town, woman-about-town: a worldly and socially active person.

Alternately, consider the politically-correct person-about-town.


I think a good term for this is social butterfly.


The person who frequents a bar or a restaurant is a patron.

  • 1
    True, but the person who goes to a bar or restaurant for the first time, having stepped foot in no bar or restaurant for decades, is also a patron.
    – choster
    Commented May 14, 2014 at 1:39
  • "patron" usually refers to someone who frequents a specific bar or restaurant. The question is asking for one who frequents many of such establishments. Commented May 14, 2014 at 3:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.