Is there a verb describing the way paint mingles with water and forms those amazing shapes, almost smoke-like.

  • There's invariably some external "stirring" or internal "circulatory" force involved, which leads to swirling patterns rather than amorphous diffusion. Nov 11, 2015 at 21:47
  • 1
    Yeah, technically "diffuse", but it is far from capturing the poetry of the effect you describe. "Kaleidoscope" or "phantasm" might capture the allusion better.
    – Hot Licks
    Nov 11, 2015 at 21:50
  • Not a particularly intuitive duplicate, but this question will form a pointer to that one.
    – Andrew Leach
    Nov 11, 2015 at 21:50
  • Not sure how a question asking for a noun (a word for certain patterns, none of which involves paint in water [as shown here]) could be confused w/one asking for a verb describing the way paint mingles w/water, but on this Armistice Day I suppose I should respectfully defer to the reason of veterans here who feel otherwise. After all, “...ours but to do and die." Or does it openvote? Anyway, I'll dignify your good question w/the suggestion of "plume":To spread out in a shape resembling a feather.
    – Papa Poule
    Nov 11, 2015 at 22:52

1 Answer 1


I believe diffuse is the word you are looking for (second bullet):

enter image description here

Google definition link.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.