There's a word that's slipped my mind. It's used for example to qualify findings through tests or statistics as opposed to formulae or hard science. Any ideas?


2 Answers 2


Are you thinking of empirical?

  • Yes, that's the word I was looking for. A broad vocabulary is a good thing but it needs to be maintained through regular usage.
    – James P.
    Jun 5, 2011 at 13:20
  • 1
    In his latest book The Beginning of Infinity, David Deutsch makes the compelling case that the status of empiricism in Western Civilisation since the Enlightenment is the most significant thing that has ever happened in Earth's 4.5-billion-year history. So we should all make more effort to retrieve the word as deftly as Peter. Jun 5, 2011 at 16:40

Peter has a good suggestion but I will add that we also say "it is an experimental fact that...".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.