I am looking for a word that I can use to describe a method that divides a single group into similar smaller groups (not opposing groups). Something like "schismatic", but without the negative connotation coming from the groups being opposing.

EDIT: the context is I am trying to name a mathematical method using a somewhat distinctive adjective. For example: Calling it the "schismatic method".


  • 1
    Divide is fine for your usage.
    – Lawrence
    Commented Nov 8, 2015 at 12:21
  • If you suggest the context it is easier to help you. Groups of people, things, animals or what?
    – user66974
    Commented Nov 8, 2015 at 12:23
  • The method I am trying to name is a mathematical method, so the groups do not have a specific nature (they can be group of people, animals, electrons or others). 'Divide' is fine, but calling the method a "dividing method" is too generic.
    – Tohiko
    Commented Nov 8, 2015 at 12:25
  • Sort of 'creating subsets'?
    – user66974
    Commented Nov 8, 2015 at 12:26

1 Answer 1


"partition" may be the word you're looking for.

"he act or process of dividing something into parts." TFD

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.