There is an English word that begins with "con" and means "a community of experts in a certain field". I am not able to recollect that word. Can someone please help me?

  • 13
    StackExchange? :D
    – wuputah
    Commented Sep 20, 2010 at 5:52
  • Panel? fill, fill, fill.
    – René
    Commented Jun 16, 2015 at 2:53

5 Answers 5


Are you thinking of cognoscenti?

–plural noun, singular -te /-ti/
persons who have superior knowledge and understanding of a particular field, esp. in the fine arts, literature, and world of fashion.

  • Yes, yes, yes! You guys rock! :D Commented Sep 10, 2010 at 15:24

Connoisseur(s), maybe?

Which is originally a french word, BTW.

  • 6
    Yep, that's the French way of writing "cognoscenti". Both come from Latin cognoscere ("to become well-acquainted with"), from com- ("with") and gnoscere ("recognize"; that's also where the English word "notice" comes from).
    – RegDwigнt
    Commented Sep 21, 2010 at 11:55
  • I'd just like to point the interesting fact that in modern french it would be then connaisseur but connoisseur was definitely a french word in the middle age.
    – Eldroß
    Commented Nov 18, 2010 at 16:20

"Condescending gits" is how I would describe a collection of people who think they are experts, but that is not quite what was asked.

  • An answer this funny ought to be a comment. ;)
    – Golden Cuy
    Commented Dec 9, 2012 at 9:50

Convicts: community of experts in crime.

  • 6
    But wouldn't the fact that they are convicts cause them to not be experts in crime? Since they are convicts, it is implied that they have been jailed for their crimes, hence they have failed.
    – bakoyaro
    Commented Dec 14, 2010 at 4:04
  • 3
    @bakoyaro, unfortunately that is an incredibly naive POV. Your false assumption is that a criminal can only go to gaol once, and hence has "failed". Each time they go to gaol - it's a university where new teachers/skills are in abundant supply. Commented Dec 14, 2010 at 21:11
  • +1 for the reply, but I'm not sold on 'experts'. I'll meet you have way and suggest 'Community of professionals in crime'. Also, I'm not familiar with 'gaol' is that an acronym or initialization?
    – bakoyaro
    Commented Dec 14, 2010 at 21:34
  • 4
    Gaol is the correct Australian (and afaik BER) spelling of the word American English word : Jail. Commented Dec 20, 2010 at 23:45

"Pundits" might apply here. A loan word to english from the hindi "pandit" for a Hindu scholar of the Brahmin caste. The term is used in contemporary english for a person with wide knowledge of a particular field, as in "political pundit(s)".

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.