What do you call that part of a plane (specifically a bomber) where the bombs are held, loaded and dispatched?

Also, in a military aircraft, what do you call the part where the soldiers are seated before parachuting out of the plane?

  • 2
    The first is the bomb bay. – deadrat Nov 6 '15 at 20:11
  • 1
    Bomb bay & Fuselage – Joe Dark Nov 6 '15 at 20:19
  • 1
    Seems to me that this information could be easily searchable....voting to close. – Kristina Lopez Nov 6 '15 at 20:24
  • 3
    aviation.stackexchange.com – Lamar Latrell Nov 6 '15 at 20:50
  • Yeah, any further questions should be in the Aviation SE group. – Hot Licks Nov 6 '15 at 20:56

Both of those areas are bays or sections of an airplane.

The Bomb Bay in a bomber holds the bombs before deployment. You can see this term on the B-2's Wikipedia page.

The Cargo Bay in a freight transport aircraft holds the troops before they're deployed. Like in the C-130 for a run out the back of the plane style jump you see in the movies/video games.

The Passenger Bay in a troop transport aircraft would be an appropriate name if the aircraft is designed more for carrying people than general cargo. An example of this would be the C-47 aircraft used during WW2 to transport the 101st Airborne Division to their drops.

All of these "bays" are within the fuselage of the aircraft, because the fuselage is simply: the main body of an aircraft.

  • +1. Yes, "cargo bay" comes to mind, but is it the only or even the most widespread term? I'm not sure. – A.P. Nov 6 '15 at 20:33
  • I don't think paratroop aircraft have passenger bays. Paratroops don't think of themselves as passengers. – DJClayworth Nov 7 '15 at 3:19
  • @DJClayworth I agree they don't view themselves as passengers like people riding in a commercial jet. "Troop Bay" doesn't ring true to me. Regardless, of their attitude their role is to be passengers until they reach their drop zone. If you find a good reference please edit it in. – Erik Nov 7 '15 at 3:28

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.