I'm currently writing a very much tongue in cheek book which involves ancestors bonding with newborns. There is something in my book that I currently refer to as Burial Soil that I'm trying to give a more scientific name for. Basically, it's what made the ancestral bond possible and can strengthen it when ingested.

Since it's tongue in cheek, I want something that has the same abbreviation AP as Applied Phlebotinum, a literary device that makes the plot move forward.. The A is easy, I can use Ancestor or a derivative word for that, but the P is somewhat harder. I considered Plotinum or something similar and might use that if nothing better comes up here, but I'm hoping for something that is more indicative of bonding and/or strengthening of a bond. It should also preferably have earthy connotations, since it's soil.

Example sentence: 3300 years ago, an ancient urnfield was turned into Ancestral {Word here} in what we call the Gallitrix event, kickstarting our civilization.

After reading the answers, I decided to use "pactite" as the name for the material itself. Since the person who recommended the word pact didn't post this as an answer, I decided to accept the answer that mentioned "to permeate", because I could use this for another aspect of the central theme as well.

  • 1
    How about "pact"? "A formal agreement between individuals or parties"
    – Rob
    Commented Nov 3, 2015 at 14:18
  • @RobBland I think slightly modified to pactite, this is also a very good term. If you can post that as an answer, I could upvote it as well.
    – Nzall
    Commented Nov 3, 2015 at 17:39

3 Answers 3


Consider these two definitions of permeate

  1. to penetrate or pervade (a substance, area, etc) a lovely smell permeated the room
  2. to pass through or cause to pass through by osmosis or diffusion to permeate a membrane

You could use the standard noun form, permeation. Or if you wanted a neologism that suggests a substance having this quality, you could try permeatonium or permeatite.

  • I actually quite like this suggestion. If nothing better is suggested, I will accept this answer in a few days.
    – Nzall
    Commented Nov 3, 2015 at 12:39

You might want to consider percolate.

: [no object] (of a liquid or gas) filter gradually through a porous surface or substance: the water percolating through the soil may leach out minerals

: (of information or an idea or feeling) spread gradually through an area or group of people: this issue has percolated into the public consciousness OED

  • Another fine suggestion that I might use.
    – Nzall
    Commented Nov 3, 2015 at 17:39

Here's a suggestion, though not exactly related to strengthening of bonds, it indicates kinship.



  1. nearness in place; proximity.

  2. nearness of relation; kinship.

  3. affinity of nature; similarity.

  4. nearness in time.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.