I'm trying to analyse the Ballad of Serenity Valley which is the theme song for the tv series Firefly:

take my love
take my land
take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
you can't take the sky from me

My interpretation relies on the meaning of 'take' in the second line, being different from the third line, which are a rhyming pair.

Is there a name for this scheme or pattern?


1 Answer 1



a form of speech in which a key word is repeated and used in a different, and sometimes contrary, way for a play on words, as in The craft of a politician is to appear before the public without craft.


There's a longer discussion of the device here:


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.