For example the person that starts the trade is the initiator of the trade, so what is the other person known as? Is there a word like initiator for the opposite party?

  • 1
    Trade in what? In the stock market (or the pot market) it would usually be a dealer. – Hot Licks Oct 29 '15 at 0:06
  • @HotLicks Are you sure about dealer? It doesn't seem like the right word. Doesn't dealer mean someone who sells or maybe even buys things? Whereas this is like a swap. I mean like a olden style trade consisting of physical goods. So a hat for a boot or a boot for a cap. – Script47 Oct 29 '15 at 0:14
  • I think this is the language of web-service e-businesses. – deadrat Oct 29 '15 at 0:15
  • Under the law of contract (in the UK), in order for a contract to exist, there has to be evidence of an offer and an acceptance (neither of which necessarily has to be in writing). The parties are called various things but these elements to a trade, whether it be for goods or services, must exist for any contract to be enforceable in law. – WS2 Oct 29 '15 at 0:23
  • @WS2 thank you for the reply, but I'm unsure how all relates to me? I'm just trying to get a word to describe the opposite party. – Script47 Oct 29 '15 at 0:24

counterparty -

The other party that participates in a financial transaction. Every transaction must have a counterparty in order for the transaction to go through. More specifically, every buyer of an asset must be paired up with a seller that is willing to sell and vice versa.

Literally means the "opposite party."

| improve this answer | |
  • I +1'd this and will accept this answer as I feel it is the correct word, however I will wait for other answers before I accept just to make sure. – Script47 Oct 29 '15 at 1:03

Recipient. In sports, the compound noun "receiving end" is common. Webster's Dictionary does not hyphenate.

| improve this answer | |

Surely it must be responder.

This shows up in some search results, e.g.

VPN Gateway Device Configured as Responder in Crypto Negotiation

| improve this answer | |
  • Surely? This is a piece of hardware, not a person. – deadrat Oct 29 '15 at 0:05
  • I am serious and don't call me Shirley! i.lvme.me/f48yt35.jpg – chasly from UK Oct 29 '15 at 0:06
  • 1
    Well, Shirley, you're right. Your cite is just inapt. – deadrat Oct 29 '15 at 0:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.