I've tried to find etymology of Linux command tee that splits standard output onto two another outputs. Have anyone reference on this history or word origin?

closed as off-topic by JHCL, Robusto, user140086, Hellion, Brian Hooper Oct 30 '15 at 16:05

  • This question does not appear to be about English language and usage within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it doesn't appear to be about the English language. – JHCL Oct 28 '15 at 19:27
  • 3
    It's a metaphor based the shape of the capital letter T. The top line represents the pipe from input to output, while the descender is the pipe leading down to save a copy to a file. – John Lawler Oct 28 '15 at 19:28
  • @JHCL Isn't questions about etymology English language related topic? – Dewfy Oct 28 '15 at 19:38
  • @Dewfy - if it's an English language word, you could look up the meaning and etymology yourself. Come back here if you're still not sure. If it's not an English word, it's off topic – JHCL Oct 28 '15 at 19:41
  • @Dewfy: I don't need accepting, thanks. BTW, it's not just Linux but all versions of UNIX™. – John Lawler Oct 28 '15 at 19:48

Linux/Unix uses several plumbing references (like 'piping' output to another command with the | character). A 'tee' in plumbing is a part that is so-called for it's shape, which looks like the letter 'T'. And it routes it's contents in two different directions.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.