These days in social networks we see a new medium emerging (which I think did not exist before, at least not in this scale):

Images with a relavent text on it.

Examples can be seen in this site:


I can't find a word to describe them. Do we have a word for this art/medium?

  • 1
    Without following your link the format you describe sounds like "image macros" (Wikipedia). They may attain the status of "memes" if sufficiently popular.
    – Chris H
    Commented Oct 25, 2015 at 20:35

1 Answer 1


Image Macro

: a photographic image on which a humorous caption or catchphrase has been digitally superimposed.


: an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation.

  • a humorous image, video, piece of text, etc. that is copied (often with slight variations) and spread rapidly by Internet users.

The correct term would be image macro. Every image macro is a meme, but not every meme is an image macro, if you get my gist.

  • Thanks for the reply. I disagree on the universally accepted attribute of the term image macro. A simple search on Google images reveal that. If anything is globally accepted, it will be used everywhere, and if something is used all over the places a search engine like Google would notice it. Commented Oct 26, 2015 at 3:36
  • If that is not a universally accepted word, then there is none as of today. Commented Oct 26, 2015 at 22:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.