When I sat on a park bench comfortably, I felt something sticky on my elbow. It is nothing but a lump of chewed (chewing) gum. Somebody has stuck it to the back of the bench.

Is there any single word for a lump of chewed gum ?

  • 3
    Sure there is: gum. Consider: There is some gum on the back of the bench. Is there any need to further clarify that the gum is no longer in its original wrapper? Seems simple as ABC to me. – J.R. Oct 21 '15 at 21:10
  • 2
    @J.R. To which I would respond "Like, a wad of gum, or a package of gum?" The 'wad' being the chewed version. I would of course expect you to reply 'wad', as a package of gum sitting on the back of a bench is a bit odd. – DCShannon Oct 22 '15 at 0:41
  • 1
    @DCS - I might respond with 'wad.' I might also respond with clump, lump, stale hunk, gooey dollop, or big ol' mass o' gum. Or perhaps I'd reply, "It was ABC gum." – J.R. Oct 22 '15 at 17:45
  • It's a package only while it’s wrapped… which here, by definition, it isn't. Single words for chewed gum include "lump" and "piece” and “wad” but any search engine would have told you that so please, what are really asking? – Robbie Goodwin May 9 '18 at 22:06

It's called a wad.

wad n
2. A compressed ball, roll, or lump, as of tobacco or chewing gum.


  • 2
    Based on the request for a single word to describe chewed gum, I dont think "wad" cuts it. A wad does not implicitly imply it has been chewed. For example, "I took a wad of 'Big League Chew' gum from the bag". That implies the wad of gum is unchewed. – Keltari Oct 22 '15 at 0:32
  • 6
    There's no reason wad can't describe both things. But the fact is, it perfectly describes chewed gum, and less so your clump of gum shreds. – Robusto Oct 22 '15 at 0:35
  • 3
    Wad does not imply chewed, nor does it imply gum. It is a perfect substitute for "lump" and an excellent substitute for "lump of chewed" but it is not in any way a single-word replacement for "lump of chewed gum." It describes the shape of the object (in this case, gum), not the substance. No one would ever say "My elbow stuck to a wad on the park bench" unless there was a previous sentence specifying that the speaker was complaining about gum being left around. If someone said "I found a wad on the ground", I'd be more inclined to assume it referred to money. – NadjaCS Oct 22 '15 at 1:10
  • 4
    It doesn't have to imply those things to be used to describe them. But chewed gum is not important enough to have a word solely used to describe it. You're barking up the wrong tree if you think that's what this is about. – Robusto Oct 22 '15 at 2:26
  • 1
    The OP is asking for a single word that means "a lump of chewed gum". Your answer states that it's called a "wad", as if that were an answer to the question. So it's absolutely valid for Keltari and NadjaCS to point out that "wad" does not, in fact, mean "a lump of chewed gum". If you want to make the case that there's no single word meaning "a lump of chewed gum", that's fine, but you should do it inside the answer. Your answer, as currently worded, is wrong. – ruakh Oct 22 '15 at 6:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.