Is there a word for the category of words that represent alphabet characters? e.g. zee, bee, see, es, etc. This is required for purposes of textual banter.


I don't think there is a word for indicating alphabet letters, specifically; However, such words definitely fall under the onomatopoeia category of words.


  : the creation of words that imitate natural sounds*

1: the naming of a thing or action by a vocal imitation of the sound associated with it (as buzz, hiss)

2: the use of words whose sound suggests the sense

— on·o·mato·poe·ic -ˈpē-ik\ or on·o·mato·po·et·ic -pō-ˈe-tik\ adjective — on·o·mato·poe·i·cal·ly -ˈpē-ə-k(ə-)lē\ or on·o·mato·po·et·i·cal·ly -pō-ˈe-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.