Is there a single English word, archaic or modern, which describes an official responsible for the allocation and distribution of land or property? The closest I can think of nowadays is "zoning official" but I'm looking for a single-word title if possible.

Example: "The [???] rechecked the property lines yesterday, and he affirmed that this part is my land."

  • You mention someone who measures property lines (e.g. a land surveyor), but this would almost never be the same person responsible for "allocation and distribution" of land, which is ultimately the government, or the Crown (depending on the country). Moreover, I doubt the person doing the measuring would be considered an official in most jurisdictions; they are most likely a worker or contractor for the applicable registry. – choster Oct 20 '15 at 22:32
  • It is difficult to know what you are looking for. In most Anglophone countries land is bought and sold like any other commodity. In the UK there is nobody responsible for allocation or distribution. There is a government body, called the Land Registry which is responsible for registering all titles to land. Another group of people called Town and Country Planners work for local authorities. They approve plans for the use of land, building development and alterations, and ensure that all development is within the overall framework of a local master plan, and planning policy generally. – WS2 Oct 20 '15 at 23:05
  • You are right, the question was poorly-worded. I'll accept "surveyor" and be more specific next time. – Draconis Oct 21 '15 at 5:15

I think the word is "surveyor."

  • Interesting, I hadn't known about the second meaning there. – Draconis Oct 20 '15 at 22:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.