Is there a word for when, say, in an artwork, there are various items that are completely different to each other, or anachronistic? Like, for example, a watch from the 1800s and a Snoopy figurine?


Formally, you could talk about them being an "incongruous" juxtaposition. And informally, you can say that they are "like chalk and cheese".

| improve this answer | |

For the example of the watch and Snoopy, I would say the items are unrelated, if I saw them, for example, on a shop shelf.

| improve this answer | |

Maybe you are looking for "surrealist", which is an adjective describing anything that was incongruously juxtaposed.

"Surrealism" refers to a movement which specialised in fantasy and incongruous juxtaposition.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.