In describing the changes made to a scientific paper, I want to say that I removed a footnote and inserted its contents into the main text. More specifically I want to write something along the lines of:

I defootnoted a footnote that addresses this issue.

As this sounds rather clumsy, I am looking for a verb to replace defootnote here.

Straightforward choices that do not fit include:

  • remove [the footnote] – does not capture that the content of the footnote is preserved.

  • include [the footnote] – can be misunderstood as a new footnote having been created.

  • include [the content] – does not capture that the content existed before.

Also, searching the Internet for defootnote and unfootnote yields all sorts of unrelated stuff.

I eventually came up with a satisfying solution but would be interested whether there are other or better suggestions.

  • "I removed a footnote and inserted its contents into the main text." Beautiful English. – Edwin Ashworth Oct 16 '15 at 9:44
  • @EdwinAshworth: Do you want to criticise or praise my writing style or do you want to suggest that I actually write this in my description of changes? – Wrzlprmft Oct 16 '15 at 9:50
  • I'm wondering why you're toying with alternatives bordering (at least) on the unacceptable when there's a simple and elegant phrasing you are already aware of. As an academic request for a possible verb to work here, I could understand your question. But so often we get requests for help with things like 'I want to express Victorian dovecote in a single word'. – Edwin Ashworth Oct 16 '15 at 9:57
  • @EdwinAshworth: Well, the problem with the expression is that it is not that beautiful anymore if I insert a lengthy relative clause describing the contents of the footnote. Also, it puts a lot of focus on something that is rather a sidenote in the text I am talking about. Consider: To avoid the misunderstanding that our method can also be applied to transmogrify bananas, we removed a footnote that detailed the inevitable issues arising from the high carbohydrate content and incompatibilities of banana peels with the employed flux compensators and inserted its contents into the main text. – Wrzlprmft Oct 16 '15 at 10:05

You could use the term inlined (common in the programming domain), where a reference to an object is replaced by a copy of the object itself.

  • OP asks for a verb. I can't find a dictionary licensing inline as such. I notice your reference is solely for the participial adjective (which can exist without a related verb). // It does appear that 'inline' is used as a verb on the internet; a Google search for "inlined a" is useful. – Edwin Ashworth Oct 16 '15 at 9:39
  • +1 I think this is a reasonable option (even though inline footnote seems to a a set term for some typesetting systems, and means something else). Other options of that kidney include pull in or pull up the footnote. – anemone Oct 16 '15 at 11:12

The best solution I have come up with so far is to surface:

I surfaced a footnote that addresses this issue.

As an intransitve verb, its meanings include to appear or become obvious after being hidden or not seen¹, which exactly describes the process and it is also used as a transitve verb in the sense of to bring to the surface ¹.

  • But the word is not used in this particular manner: it sounds outlandish when 'footnote' is used as the direct object. – Edwin Ashworth Oct 16 '15 at 9:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.