When I was at the beach, I occasionally felt the spray of sea water. Is there any word for it?

2 Answers 2


I think it's called "sea spray."


Are you looking for spindrift ?

Spindrift usually refers to spray, particularly to the spray blown from cresting waves during a gale. This spray, which "drifts" in the direction of the gale, is one of the characteristics of a wind speed of 8 Beaufort and higher at sea. (Wikipedia, "Spindrift")

  • That's interesting -- my first though on reading you answer was "no, spindrift is snow blown off the surface". Apparently I only knew the less-common meaning.
    – Chris H
    Oct 16, 2015 at 9:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.