I remember in English classes when my teacher had used this sort of system when correcting essays in the class.

I never asked her about what it was and just complied and made the revisions to my essay according to the markings.

I'm quite interested in this subject now—I've illustrated a reference of it and linked to it below. Can anyone tell me the name of this system, and where can I learn more about it?

alt text

2 Answers 2


This paper (PDF) lists what it calls the "British standard institution proof correction marks". I can see your "Capitalise" mark on the list, but not the other two.

Merriam-Webster offers this list of proofreaders' marks.

Edit: Courtesy of Kosmonaut, here's a link to Proofreader’s and Editor’s Symbols over at University of Colorado. All three of your symbols are on that list.

Proofreader's and editor's symbols

  • Ahh... Yes-I had been in an American school then, so perhaps that was only used for English for the American Curriculum.
    – JFW
    Sep 9, 2010 at 14:58

I've generally heard these symbols (and more) referred to as proofreaders' marks or copyeditors' marks, and they're taught in copyediting classes. They are becoming less common as more copyediting is done electronically, using track changes in Word or other word processing programs.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.