Some people add or change letters that aren't in a word or name, i.e., "Simonese" cat instead of "Siamese" cat, and French "provinincial" furniture instead of French "provincial" furniture. Also adding letters in the middle of a name, such as "Stolperman" instead of "Stolpman." Is there a word for such misuse of words/names?


Maybe epenthesis, which Wiki describes as "the addition of one or more sounds to a word, especially to the interior of a word". See here.

This might not be exactly what you're looking for though, since from what I can tell this is taken to be primarily a phonetic phenomenon.

For example, this site on rhetorical schemes claims that a poet might use visitating over visiting (in speech and orthography) in order to preserve their meter.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.