Recently, I realized that I did not know of any words in the English language whose singular form ends in an "s" and whose plural form drops that "s."

I was wondering if anyone either knew the answer or knew of a means of learning the answer (e.g, a database to search words by oddly-specific criteria)

closed as too broad by tchrist, Chenmunka, Hellion, JHCL, Mitch Oct 17 '15 at 23:54

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 6
    Look for words ending in -us that have plurals in -i. Such as "fungus, fungi." – sumelic Oct 12 '15 at 23:55
  • 3
    Why would you imagine that there were such words? Is this a riddle somewhere? – John Lawler Oct 13 '15 at 0:02
  • Someone asked me to think of a word which ended in "es" in the singular and dropped the "s" in the plural, but I couldn't think of any. Additionally, I couldn't think of any words off the top of my head which simply ended with "s" in the singular and dropped the "s" in the plural – Charles German Oct 13 '15 at 23:09

They are "foreign plurals",i.e. words which come from foreign languages,such as "cactus-cacti,corpus-corpora" etc.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.