Is there a word or a phrase, describing the refinement (in the sense of sophisticated and superior good taste) of shapes in the context of some solid artistic works (such as pottery or sculpture)? I thought of shapely, but I'm not sure if it could be used in a non-suggestive context.

EDIT: The sentence, which contains the word or phrase should be: "The vase we've seen in the museum was amazing"—but with a word or phrase in place of "amazing" that describes the refinement of the vase's shapes with reference to its general shape and its relief details). That's one example that I can invent quickly, but it's going to be used regarding not vases literally, but some everyday things.

EDIT2: If you don't know such word or phrase, but have some thoughts regarding shapely, please share.

  • Please suggest a sentence where the word/phrase could be used.
    – user66974
    Oct 12, 2015 at 14:47

3 Answers 3


Graceful is often used to praise the contours of three-dimensional objects.

  • Seems to have peaked around 1900: books.google.com/ngrams/…
    – TimR
    Oct 12, 2015 at 16:04
  • Though it seems, that common adjectives are not enough creative for me, I'm accepting as this should be the closest one by meaning.
    – tonso
    Oct 12, 2015 at 16:20

Elegant When applied to inanimate objects, elegant implies refinement, beauty, and tasteful all at once, without any suggestive context.



Stylish: having elegance, taste or refinement (mostly used in relation with fashion).

Harmonious: forming a pleasingly consistent whole to ear, see, taste, etc

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.