I am French and have a question regarding a plural form of some words.

I work on an English language website and want to list "the weirdests" issues I have discovered.

This link title would be "The Weirdests". Is it right ?

I want to do the same thing with "the most normal" (in plural) issues I will find.

The link title would be "The most normal" ? Or "the most normals" ?

Or is it a one-word form (synonym) to say "The most normal(s)" ?

Thank you very much for your help!

  • Typo, obviously.
    – Kris
    Oct 9, 2015 at 7:20
  • 1
    You are making a noun out of the (superlative) adjective weirdest. While this is quite possibly acceptable (cf the best, the greatest), these nominal adjectives are usually not pluralisable. They are rather used as mass nouns. Thus, a list titled 'the weirdest' or 'the most normal' may have one or more members. Oct 9, 2015 at 7:29
  • Unlike in French, English adjectives do not agree in number and gender with their nouns. Les maisons rouges is simply the red houses. So we would not say the weirdests issues. It would be the weirdest issues.
    – WS2
    Oct 9, 2015 at 21:24

1 Answer 1


When you use a definite article before an adjective, you can consider a noun is omitted after the adjective in a sentence. For example:

The young (people) should respect the old (people).

Therefore, you cannot use a plural form of an adjective in your link title.

The weirdest (issues) and The most normal (issues) or the Weirdest or the Most Normal should be used.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.