So let's say I have person A certifying person B. I call person A a 'certifier' - the one who certifies. Is there a single word to describe a person B - the one who is being certified?

For simplicity the certification is a process where person A ensures person B possesses certain property.

  • I don't know if there's one word that covers all instances, but words like trainee, student, apprentice, examinee, and candidate come to mind.
    – J.R.
    Commented Oct 8, 2015 at 22:26
  • Whatever you do, don't use "certifiable" to denote the person on the receiving end. "Certifiable" is generally construed to mean "crazy".
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Oct 8, 2015 at 22:52
  • @Hot Licks Yes, in Britain the terms certify and certified are short forms for indicating that the necessary legal processes have been completed for compulsorily detaining a psychiatric patient. e.g. Fred's been certified or steps are being taken to certify Mildred.
    – WS2
    Commented Oct 8, 2015 at 23:46
  • @WS2, I heard in US it is used in the same way.
    – Zepplock
    Commented Oct 9, 2015 at 1:20
  • You obviously must use terms like "certified" when someone is, say, a Certified Public Accountant, but one should be careful to assure that the context is evident. Don't use "Frank Jones is certified" as stand-alone statement, with no context to indicate "certified" in what.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Oct 9, 2015 at 1:24

3 Answers 3


"Certificant" works, though some sources claim it isn't a "real" word.


Candidate or applicant(not the best choice of words though)


I think we call such persons-



Or to use a single word noun--"LICENSEE"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.