What is a formal word to describe someone who looks at the bigger picture

  • What do you mean by 'bigger picture?". Please elaborate your question.
    – user66974
    Oct 8 '15 at 19:01
  • That can be a positive trait or sometimes a negative trait. Can you provide a little more context such as using it in a sentence (leaving the word in question as a blank). Oct 8 '15 at 19:01
  • similar to this question. Oct 8 '15 at 19:06
  • " Theorician " ?
    – Graffito
    Oct 8 '15 at 21:06
  • Context is key. Could be strategist, pragmatist or just philosopher.
    – stevesliva
    Oct 10 '15 at 3:22

"hedgehog". From an ancient Greek fragment attributed to Archilochus: πόλλ' οἶδ' ἀλώπηξ, ἀλλ' ἐχῖνος ἓν μέγα ("a fox knows many things, but a hedgehog one important thing"). See The Hedgehog and the Fox.

  • 1
    An interesting candidate, but we should add a caveat that this probably wouldn't count as a "formal word." I've never heard anyone say at a meeting, "We need to get Greg in here, he's a real hedgehog, and we need someone who can see the bigger picture." Still, it's an interesting option that's worth mentioning.
    – J.R.
    Oct 8 '15 at 22:29

I do not know of any specific word for this kind of person, "generalist" would come to mind as someone who takes a general view of things.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.