Yesterday, my wife was surfing the internet and caught this image with a "snipping tool".

So it looked like this:______Doorlock

After locking, it looked like this: Doorlock

  • 1
    That's a plain old, garden-variety door latch, I think sometimes called a "privacy latch" or something of that nature. Used on bedroom and bathroom doors. Some such latches use a twist knob, as shown, to lock/unlock access from the other side, others use a push button. – Hot Licks Oct 8 '15 at 1:56
  • The style of knob in the pictures is a lever, but the same mechanism works with a conventional round knob -- it's all the same inside. The lever style is most popular in modern US homes. – Hot Licks Oct 8 '15 at 1:58
  • really? Where'd you get that data? According to Design Dilemma, the round knobs are more traditional. – anonymous Oct 8 '15 at 3:09
  • @HotLicks: so the term is "twist knob"? – herisson Oct 8 '15 at 3:27
  • @sumelic - No, by "twist knob" I was referring to the little knob in the middle which can be twisted to change from "unlocked" to "locked". The overall thing is, generically, a "latch" or a "doorknob". "Privacy latch" is the specific type (lockable). One that is not lockable is a "passage latch", I believe. – Hot Licks Oct 8 '15 at 3:31

Lever handle lock appears to be what it is called. A useful lock mainly used as indoor locks.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.