What term is more widespread and suitable when we speak about box with medicines you keep at home on a regular basis? Every family has such box, where you store necessary medicines, bandages, syringes and etc.
I don't mean kits which are used in hiking, trekking, and other sport activities, as well as bags used by professionals (e.g. emergency physicians). I know "first aid kit" is a must here.
But what if we speak about more extended (not only first aid) kit ?

  • You would have a lot of confusion in the US as to whether you're talking about the medicine cabinet (or medicine chest) behind the mirror in the bathroom or something else. As to medicines, they're stored in a kitchen cabinet, bandages are stored everywhere except where you can find one when you need it, and I keep the syringes hidden under the false drawer bottom in my sock drawer. – Hot Licks Oct 11 '15 at 19:41
  • An emergency medical box seems very similar to a "first aid kit". – Graffito Oct 11 '15 at 21:25

There seems to be a lot of regional differences, and no single answer. It may also change from household to household within a region.

In Australia, first aid kit is used for something you take with you or keep at home or at the office/workplace. I've never heard medicine box, but it might be used in other English speaking countries, although I doubt it.

Medicine cabinet is used also, but refers to a glass-fronted cabinet above the sink in a bathroom that contains medications and toiletries. Others have suggested medicine cabinet can also refer to a wooden box, possibly mounted on the wall, but without a glass front.

Others have suggested medicine chest and medicine cupboard.

|improve this answer|||||
  • 1
    And what about medicine chest? Is it in use? – Suncatcher Oct 5 '15 at 11:25
  • In England, the general purpose, mirrored, fancy-looking box on the wall is a bathroom cabinet not a medicine cabinet. A medicine cabinet would be a plain-looking, wooden box with a cross on the front. It wouldn't have any glass, possibly mounted on the wall and probably with a lock. It would contain first-aid items and similar. – chasly from UK Oct 5 '15 at 11:55
  • @chaslyfromUK I doubt that the position is as settled and universal as you suggest. It is one of those things for which different families will have different names. Ours is high-up in the kitchen and we call it the medicine cupboard. but my wife is Chinese - so we do have rather a lot of medicines, both ancient herbal remedies as well as things from the pharmacy. – WS2 Oct 5 '15 at 12:30
  • The US usage generally mirrors the Australian, at least in my area. Medicine chest seems more like something a doctor or perhaps a survivalist might have, although the a more common term is "field hospital kit". – Eric Hauenstein Oct 5 '15 at 16:19
  • So, first aid kit is quite common and can be used both for survivalist expeditions/activities and for home use. Am I correct? – Suncatcher Oct 6 '15 at 7:25

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.