I have seen these types of hats many times:

enter image description here

They are small hats with ear covers, usually with two pom-poms at the sides and a big one on top (not shown here).

What is the name for these type of hats?

  • There's a character in a Jim Jarmusch film who would just call it a 'street' hat.
    – JHCL
    Oct 2, 2015 at 14:57
  • 2
    Ha ha! I was going to give you a wee bit of grief over not including your own search but when I Googled "name for hat with ear flaps and pom poms", I got back a preponderance of listings where the hat is literally called "hat with ear flaps and pom poms"! Just too funny! Oct 2, 2015 at 15:50
  • 1
    I like @Catija's picture of the hat better. ;-) (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
    – Drew
    Oct 2, 2015 at 16:20

1 Answer 1


The traditional Russian terminology is "Ushanka", though it is often referred to in English as a "trooper hat".

An ushanka (Russian: уша́нка; IPA: [ʊˈʂankə], lit. "ear hat"), also called a ushanka-hat (Russian: ша́пка-уша́нка; IPA: [ˈʂapkə ʊˈʂankə]), formovka (формóвка), trooper hat, is a Russian fur cap with ear flaps that can be tied up to the crown of the cap, or fastened at the chin to protect the ears, jaw and lower chin from the cold. The dense fur also offers some protection against blunt impacts to the head.

The word ushanka derives from ushi (у́ши), "ears" in Russian.

Another option is "trapper hats", which seems to describe the same style of hat.

Here's an example:

Trapper Hat

  • Wow! I didn't expect there to be a specific name for this type of hat. Nice.
    – Dan Bron
    Oct 2, 2015 at 14:59
  • Perhaps "Chapka" is more commonly used. "Deerstalker" is another possibility, but the word also refers to Sherlock Holmes hat.
    – Graffito
    Oct 2, 2015 at 15:03
  • Yes, but that doesn't have the pom-poms. Oct 2, 2015 at 15:06
  • 1
    @Graffito You're more than welcome to submit your own answer...
    – Catija
    Oct 2, 2015 at 15:06
  • 2
    The term ushanka specifically refers to a hat with ear flaps. A chapka has not necessarily the ear flaps. From a linguistic point of view ushanka is the good choice, but for many people, both words have the same sense and Ngram shows that chapka usage is 25 times higher than ushanka.
    – Graffito
    Oct 2, 2015 at 15:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.