Is there a phrase for when someone else deals with distractions that would require your attention. So that you can focus on something more urgent.

I want descriptions for the role of the person helping. not of the value of the work or of the person asking for help.

  • In spy fiction (at least British spy fiction...I'm not so sure about American), the person who deals with distractions for the agent is known as the "minder", and what they do is called "minding". Not sure if that helps.
    – JEL
    Commented Sep 30, 2015 at 20:30
  • Maybe "your collaborator is dealing with routine work" ?
    – Graffito
    Commented Sep 30, 2015 at 21:34
  • That sounds like the job of a "personal assistant".
    – James
    Commented Oct 1, 2015 at 13:25

1 Answer 1


A common idiom for what this person does for you is "runs interference".

From The Free Dictionary Online:

Handle problems or help clear the way for another, as in "The press secretary runs interference for the governor."

This term comes from football, where it refers to the blocking of defensive players by offensive players to let the ball carrier advance. Its figurative use dates from the mid-1900s.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.